Topps Wacky Packages 1st Series 1973
- This is the legendary 1st series that came out in Spring (most likely March) of 1973.
- Although this series is known as "the 1st series", all 30 titles had already been released as die-cuts in 1967/8. The 1967/8 die-cut series was not greatly successful however, while the re-release in 1973 was phenomenally successful, so consequently most people think Wackys were born in 1973, however they were already 5 or 6 years old at the time. Perhaps the peel-and-stick format made the difference (die-cuts were punch-and-lick), or perhaps it was just more in the air come 1973. Whatever the reason, this is the series that put Wacky Packages on the map.
- Art Spiegelman conceived the jokes and drew the roughs for this series, Norm Saunders (primarily) did the final paintings.
- Packs came with
- There are nine different checklist backs which come together to form a Gadzooka puzzle.
- There is a typo on the checklist, "Jail-O Desert" should be "Jail-O Dessert".
- The box was purple and held 48 packs. See the box:
- This series is notable among Topps regular series in how some of the stickers appeared only once on the sheet while others appeared as many as six times.
- sticker copyright:
- The Backs: Due to their immense popularity, Topps went into a printing frenzy, and soon they had run out of white back sticker stock. They proceeded to use anything else they could find, and as a result there are four different 1st series backs. All but the white backs were printed near the end of the run and so are rare.
- Some of the 1st series titles were re-released in other series and are difficult to distinguish from the originals, sometimes only the die-cut can distinguish them, for example with Lavirus and Tied. In some other instances there is no apparent way to tell the difference for example the tan back Gadzooka Wonder Bread premium is indistinguishable from the orignial, as far as anyone can tell.
- Vote for your favorite 1st Series stickers
Chock Full O' Bolts
Weakies Breakfast Cereal
Crust Tooth Paste