- Five vintage series (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 13th, 14th) came with multiple backs.
- There are:
- White Backs (1st-3rd, 13th-16th)
- Tan Backs (1st-14th)
- Black Ludlow Backs (1st-2nd)
- Red Ludlow Backs (1st-2nd)
- Tri-Fold Tans (14th series only)
- Picture Gallery
- At the beginning Topps started with white back sticker stock. Sometime near the end of the 1st series they reordered sticker stock but with tan backing.
- They also found a small stack of sticker stock with camels on the back, which came in both black and red versions (called "Ludlows")
- So there were four different backs for the 1st series (White, Tan, Black Ludlow, Red Ludlow) and same for the 2nd series.
- Ludlows are rare, red more so than black.
- By the 3rd series they were out of Ludlow paper, so 3rds come only as White or Tan.
- And they were nearly out of White stock, 3rd Whites are quite rare, most are Tan.
- They would continue with only Tan stock through series 12. Then at the very end of 13th they ordered White back stock again.
- 13th Whites are the rarest of all back variations
- 14th series is a mix of White and Tan. Tans are a bit tougher than Whites.
- Curiously 14th also has so-called "tri-folds" which are tan but have two lines across the backs. Tri-folds are rare.
- So 14th has three variations.
- OPC (the Canadian releases) ran opposite to the Topps versions. 1st Whites are rare and 1st Tans are common. And 3rd Tans are rare and 3rd Whites are common.
- 2nd and 4th came only as tans.
|Series||White|| Tan ||Black|